Hang-en cave

Hang-en cave
(credit: National Geographic)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Departure day!

It's here it's here it's here! I'm actually in the airport now waiting for my flight to Detroit. So exciting!

I had to repack a lot of things last night--my bag ended up being a few pounds overweight, so I had to do some reshuffling and pack some of the heavier things in my carry-ons.
Why, yes, I am using a bag designed for hardcore paintballers and geocachers as a purse, thanks for noticing. 

I also took out some of the heavier clothes I had; looking at the weather, it's supposed to be in the 90's the entire time and feel like over 100. 

It's been a fairly uneventful morning so far. I woke up at 5:30, ate a wonderful breakfast of pancakes (good travel sustenance!) and left for the airport around 6:00.

Step 1: make it 100 yards away from home before Mom calls frantically about how you forgot ALL of the money on the kitchen counter. Whoops.

Step 2: get to the airport an hour ahead of schedule and have coffee with Dad.

Step 3: go through security in ten minutes or less. Buy lots of water and a gluten-free lunch box!
Seriously, these things are amazing.

Step 4: run into a wonderful friend from my trips to Honduras at the gate (well, really run through the terminal hollering at her, getting disgruntled looks from other sleepy passengers) and spend some time wandering around with her.

Step 5: narrate my life on the Internet. 

Future steps: I land in Detroit at 11:30 (10:30 Milwaukee time) and take off for Shanghai at 12:05. Good thing my carry-ons are running-friendly! Then I'll spend 14 hours and 45 minutes on a plane, land in Shanghai at 2:50pm their time, and finally get to Xiamen at 8:10pm, or 7:10am Milwaukee time. It's going to be crazy! Hopefully it's about as uneventful as the first few steps have been.

I've got snacks, headphones, a book, and a computer to keep me entertained. I've still got some writing to do for work, but if I get bored I also downloaded a PDF of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality to finally get caught up on.

I'll try to post when I land!

-a.

No comments:

Post a Comment