Hang-en cave

Hang-en cave
(credit: National Geographic)

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An Adventure Begins

Hi friends,
So I'm sitting here in the Atlanta airport, waiting to board my flight to Germany (it leaves in about two hours!). It's quite the adventure flying by myself, but so far it's turned out well, even on four and a half hours of sleep--we'll see what happens when I get to Germany later tonight America time, and early tomorrow morning Germany time.

Packing was rather entertaining as well. I packed my suitcase three (yes, three) times and still probably ended up with too much stuff. I have a large-ish suitcase and a backpack roughly the size of me containing all of my worldly possessions for the next two months--I'm building up a lot of upper-arm strength really, really quickly lugging this monster of a backpack around the airports, so call me in the fall when you move in. I might actually be able to help.

I'm still a little scared of this trip. I'm not entirely sure what it's going to be like working and living and traveling over there, which is a little intimidating. And then there's the language barrier. I know a vast majority of people speak English, but it's still terrifying when you know only a tiny, tiny amount about the language and the culture. Here's pretty much what I know:

Lukas Podolski is a football god. I have a song to prove it. I think.

Danke. Bitte. Bitte schon. Guten tag. Du bist ein Dumkopf. Der Ball is rot. Ich bin ein Berliner. Auf Wiedersehen. (Forgive the grammar errors)

Be on time. ALWAYS.

And last but not least: This is going to be AWESOME. I know that that's going to be true, despite all my worries.

I hope you all are having wonderful summers! I miss you all.

--a.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your flight went well and that you are now having the time of your life. If not, well, there's always tomorrow.

    Also, my address is 1591 Prospect Mountain Drive, Estes Park, CO. Just because you told me to, you are under no obligation to get me anything of any kind.

    ~John Carey

    ReplyDelete